SCALE FACTOR DETERMINATION METHOD OF ELECTRO-OPTICAL MODULATOR IN FIBER-OPTIC GYROSCOPE
Read the full article
For citation: Aleiynik A.S., Volkovskiy S.A., Mikheev M.V., Nikitenko A.N., Plotnikov M.Yu. Scale factor determination method of electro-optical modulator in fiber-optic gyroscope. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 436–444. doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2016-16-3-436-444
Subject of Research. We propose a method for dynamic measurement of half-wave voltage of electro-optic modulator as part of a fiber optic gyroscope. Excluding the impact of the angular acceleration on measurement of the electro-optical coefficient is achieved through the use of homodyne demodulation method that allows a division of the Sagnac phase shift signal and an auxiliary signal for measuring the electro-optical coefficient in the frequency domain. Method. The method essence reduces to decomposition of step of digital serrodyne modulation in two parts with equal duration. The first part is used for quadrature modulation signals. The second part comprises samples of the auxiliary signal used to determine the value of the scale factor of the modulator. Modeling is done in standalone model, and as part of a general model of the gyroscope. The applicability of the proposed method is investigated as well as its qualitative and quantitative characteristics: absolute and relative accuracy of the electro-optic coefficient, the stability of the method to the effects of angular velocities and accelerations, method resistance to noise in actual devices. Main Results. The simulation has showed the ability to measure angular velocity changing under the influence of angular acceleration, acting on the device, and simultaneous measurement of electro-optical coefficient of the phase modulator without interference between these processes. Practical Relevance. Featured in the paper the ability to eliminate the influence of the angular acceleration on the measurement accuracy of the electro-optical coefficient of the phase modulator will allow implementing accurate measurement algorithms for fiber optic gyroscopes resistant to a significant acceleration in real devices.
Acknowledgements. This work was performed at ITMO University with the financial supporting by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (unique project ID: RFMEFI57815X0109, Agreement No 14.578.21.0109).
1. Lefevre H. The Fiber-Optic Gyroscope. 2nd ed. Artech House, 2014, 405 p.
2. Pavlath G.A. Closed-loop fiber optic gyros. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 1996, vol. 2837, pp. 46–60. doi: 10.1117/12.258198
3. Lefevre H., Martin F. Optical-Fiber Measuring Device, Gyrometer, Central Navigation and Stabilizing System. Patent US5141316, 1992
4. Kurbatov A.M., Kurbatov R.A. Method of Improving Accuracy of Closed-Loop Fibre-Optic Gyroscope. Patent RU 2512599, 2012.
5. Plotnikov M.J., Kulikov A.V., Strigalev V.E., Meshkovsky I.K. Dynamic range analysis of the phase generated carrier demodulation technique. Advances in Optical Technologies, 2014, art. 815108. doi: 10.1155/2014/815108
6. Dandridge A., Tveten A.B., Gialloronzi T.G. Homodyne demodulation scheme for fiber optic sensors using phase generated carrier. IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, 1982, vol. 18, no. 10, pp. 1647–1653.
7. Plotnikov M., Kulikov A., Strigalev V. Optical technologies investigation of output signal amplitude dependence in homodyne demodulation scheme for phase fiber-optic sensor. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2013, no. 6 (88), pp. 18–22. (In Russian)
8. Azmi A.I., Leung I., Chen X., Zhou S., Zhu Q., Gao K., Childs P., Peng G. Fiber laser based hydrophone systems. Photonic Sensors, 2011, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 210–221. doi: 10.1007/s13320-011-0018-3
9. Wang L., Zhang M., Mao X., Liao Y. The arctangent approach of digital PGC demodulation for optic interferometric sensors. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2006, vol. 6292, art. 62921E. doi: 10.1117/12.678455
10. He J., Wang L., Li F., Liu Y. An ameliorated phase generated carrier demodulation algorithm with low harmonic distortion and high stability. Journal of Lightwave Technology, 2010, vol. 28, no. 22, pp. 3258–3265. doi: 10.1109/JLT.2010.2081347
11. He J., Li F., Zhang W., Wang L., Xu T., Liu Y. High performance wavelength demodulator for DFB fiber laser sensor using novel PGC algorithm and reference compensation method. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2011, vol. 7753, art. 775333. doi: 10.1117/12.885823
12. Yang X., Chen Z., Ng J.H., Pallayil V., Unnikrishnan K.C. A PGC demodulation based on differential-cross-multiplying (DCM) and arctangent (ATAN) algorithm with low harmonic distortion and high stability. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2012, vol. 8421, art. 84215J. doi: 10.1117/12.974939
13. Tong Y., Zeng H., Li L., Zhou Y. Improved phase-generated carrier demodulation algorithm for eliminating light intensity disturbance and phase modulation amplitude variation. Applied Optics, 2012, vol. 51, no. 29, pp. 6962–6967. doi: 10.1364/AO.51.006962
14. Wang G.-Q., Xu T.-W., Li F. PGC demodulation technique with high stability and low harmonic distortion. IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 2012, vol. 24, no. 23, pp. 2093–2096. doi: 10.1109/LPT.2012.2220129
15. Wentao Z., Hao X., Cunzhi P., Wenzhu H., Fang Li Differential-self-multiplying-integrate phase generated carrier method for fiber-optic sensors. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2014, vol. 9233, art. 92331U. doi: 10.1117/12.2069764
16. Wu B., Yuan Y., Yang J., Liang S., Yuan L. Optimized phase generated carrier (PGC) demodulation algorithm insensitive to C value. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2015, vol. 9655, art. 96550C. doi: 10.1117/12.2184268
17. Baskakov S.I. Radiotekhnicheskie Tsepi i Signaly [Radio Circuits and Signals]. 2nd ed. Moscow, Vysshaya shkola, 1998, 448 p.
18. Mekhrengin M.V., Kireenkov A.Yu., Pogorelaya D.A., Plotnikov M.Yu., Shuklin Ph.A. Compensation of output signal temperature dependence in homodyne demodulation technique for phase fiber-optic sensors. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2015, vol.15, no. 2, pp. 227–233. (in Russian) doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2015-15-2-227-233
19. Smith S.W. The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing. 2nd ed. California Technical Publishing, 1999, 650 p.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License