ON THE POSSIBILITY OF BURNING ACCELERATION IN THE COMBUSTION CHAMBERS OF ADVANCED JET ENGINES BY DEEPLY SUBCRITICAL MICROWAVE DISCHARGE
Read the full article
For citation: Bulat P.V., Esakov I.I., Volobuev I.A., Grachev L.P. On the possibility of burning acceleration in the combustion chambers of advanced jet engines by deeply subcritical microwave discharge. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 382–385. doi:10.17586/2226-1494-2016-16-2-382-385
The paper deals with the problem of increasing the speed of propagation of the flame front as applied to the problems of reducing noxious emissions of nitrogen oxides formed during operation of jet engines and industrial turbines, as well as the stabilization of a supersonic combustion. We investigate the possibility of reducing the induction time using non-equilibrium cold plasma produced by an electromagnetic vibrator in beam quasi-optical MW radiation. The positive effect of cold non-equilibrium plasma on increasing the rate of occurrence of oxidation reactions in the air is well known and undisputed. The presented results of the experiments demonstrate the advantage of the method developed in terms of efficiency and suppression of nitrogen oxide emissions. Also they show that combustion stabilization is achieved similarly in a supersonic flow.
1. Bychkov D.V., Grachev L.P., Esakov I.I. Deeply undercritical microwave discharge excited by the field of a quasi-optical electromagnetic beam in a supersonic air jet. Technical Physics. The Russian Journal of Applied Physics, 2009, vol. 54, no. 3, pp. 365–371. doi: 10.1134/S1063784209030062
2. Aleksandrov K.V., Grachev L.P., Esakov I.I., Fedorov V.V., Khodataev K.V. Domains of existence of various types of microwave discharge in quasi-optical electromagnetic beams. Technical Physics. The Russian Journal of Applied Physics, 2006, vol. 51, no. 11, pp. 1448–1456.
3. Khodataev K.V. The nature of surface MW discharges. Proc. 48th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum and Exhibition. Orlando, Florida, 2010, art. 2010-1378.
4. Bityurin V., Leonov S., Yarantsev D., Van Wie D. Hydrocarbon fuel ignition by electric discharge in high-speed flow. Proc. 4th Int. Workshop on Magnetoplasma Aerodynamics for Aerospace Applications. Moscow, 2002, p. 200.
5. Napartovich A.P., Kochetov I.V., Leonov S.B. Calculation of the dynamics of ignition of an air-hydrogen mixture by nonequilibrium discharge in a high-velocity flow. High Temperature, 2005, vol. 43, no. 5, pp. 673–679. doi: 10.1007/s10740-005-0110-8
6. Napartovich A.P., Akishev Yu.S., Deryugin A.A., Kochetov I.V., Trushkin N.I. DC glow discharge with fast gas flow for flue gas processing. In Non-Thermal Plasma Techniques for Pollution Control. Part B: Electron Beam and Electrical Discharge Processing. Eds. B.M. Penetrante, S.E. Schultheis. Springer, 1993, pp. 355–370. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-78476-7
7. Bulat P.V., Denissenko P.V., Volkov K.N. Trends in the development of detonation engines for high-speed aerospace aircrafts and the problem of triple configurations of shock waves. Part I. Research of detonation engines. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 1–21.
8. Starikovskaia S.M., Starikovskii A.Yu. Plasma assisted ignition and combustion. In Handbook of Combustion. Eds. M. Lackner, F. Winter, A.K. Agarwal. Weinheim, Wiley-VCH, 2010, 3168 p.
9. Rakitin A.E., Popov I.B. Starikovskii A.Yu. Detonation initiation by a gradient mechanism in propane–oxygen and propane–air mixtures. Proc. 49th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting including the New Horizons Forum and Aerospace Exposition. Orlando, Florida, 2011.
10. Starov A.V. Determination of steady-state combustion limits at high supersonic flow velocities in the channel. Vestnik of NSU: Physics Series, 2008, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 47–60. (In Russian)
11. Bulat M.P., Prodan N.V. On the low-frequency oscillations of expenditure base pressure. Fundamental'nye Issledovaniya, 2013, no. 4–3, pp. 545–549.
12. Uskov V.N., Bulat P.V. About research of an oscillating motion gas subweight of a rotor of turbo-refrigerator and detanderny cars. Part II. Pressure fluctuations in nozzles of the feeding systems on a supercritical operating mode. Vestnik of International Academy of Refrigeration, 2013, no. 1, pp. 57–60. (In Russian)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License