RESEARCH OF THE ENTRANCE ANGLE EFFECT ON THE REFLECTANCE SPECTRA OF THE STAINLESS STEEL SURFACE OXIDIZED BY PULSED LASER RADIATION
Read the full article
For citation: Veiko V.P., Odintsova G.V., Karlagina Yu.Yu., Andreeva Ya. M., Ageev E.I., Yatsuk R.M. Research of the entrance angle effect on the reflectance spectra of the stainless steel surface oxidized by pulsed laser radiation. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 422–427. doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2016-16-3-422-427
Subject of Research.Oxide films on the metal surfaces can be obtained both by surface-uniform infrared heating and local laser treatment e.g. by sequence of nanosecond laser pulses. Due to interference in created films the coloration of treated area is observed. The present work shows the results of spectrophotometric measurements for various light entrance angles in the range of 10-60°. Method. AISI 304 stainless steel plates were oxidized by two methods: in muffle furnace FM - 10 (Т= 500-600° С, t = 5-7 min.) and at line-by-line scanning by sequence of nanosecond laser pulses (λ = 1.06 μm, τ =100 ns, r = 25 μm,q=2.91∙107 W/cm2, Nx = 30, Ny = 1). Surface research in optical resolution was realized by Carl Zeiss Axio Imager A1M. Reflectance spectra were obtained with spectrophotometer Lambda Perkin 1050 with integrating sphere at different fixed light incidence angles. Topographic features were detected by scanning probe microscopy investigation with NanoEducator equipment. Main Results. The quantitative surface geometry characteristics of AISI 304 stainless steel patterns treated by different methods are obtained. It was found that the increase of light entrance angle has no influence on the form of reflection coefficient dependence from a wavelength, but a blue-shift occurs especially for the case of laser treatment. This difference can be caused by surface topology formed by laser heating and variety of oxide film thickness. This effect results in more significant change in observed sample color for laser treatment then for infrared heating. Practical Relevance. The results obtained in the present work can be used to implement a new element of product protection against forgery with the product marking.
Acknowledgements. The authors are very grateful to A.A. Shimko for reflectance spectra measurements carried out at the Centre for Optical and Laser Materials Research at St. Petersburg State University and to O.A. Prikhodco for the essential comments and recommendations. The study was supported by RFBR according to the research project #14-29-07227.
1. Misev T.A., Van der Linde R. Powder coatings technology: new developments at the turn of the century. Progress in Organic Coatings, 1998, vol. 34, no. 1–4, pp. 160–168.
2. Gorbunova T.G., Tishkin A.A., Khavrin S.V. Srednevekovye Ukrasheniya Konskogo Snaryazheniya na Altae: Morfologicheskii Analiz, Tekhnologii Izgotovleniya, Sostav Splavov. Barnaul, Azbuka Publ., 2009, 144 p.
3. Provotorov A.V., Astaf'ev A.V. Adaptation of industrial products automatic identification technology for the production of pipe products. Perspektivy Razvitiya Informatsionnykh Tekhnologii, 2011, no. 3–2, pp. 130–135. (In Russian)
4. Panjan M., Klanjsek Gunde M., Panjan P., Cekada M. Designing the color of AlTiN hard coating through interference effect. Surface and Coatings Technology, 2014, vol. 254, pp. 65–72. doi: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2014.05.065
5. Jervis T.R., Williamson D.L., Hirvonen J.-P., Zocco T.G. Characterization of the surface oxide formed by excimer laser surface processing of AISI 304 stainless steel. Materials Letters, 1990, vol. 9, no. 10, pp. 379–383. doi: 10.1016/0167-577X(90)90070-3
6. Li Z.L., Zheng H.Y., Teh K.M., Liu Y.C., Lim G.C., Seng H.L., Yakovlev N.L. Analysis of oxide formation induced by UV laser coloration of stainless steel. Applied Surface Science, 2009, vol. 256, no. 5, pp. 1582–1588. doi: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2009.09.025
7. Adams D.P., Hodges V.C., Hirschfeld D.A., Rodriguez M.A., McDonald J.P., Kotula P.G. Nanosecond pulsed laser irradiation of stainless steel 304L: Oxide growth and effects on underlying metal. Surface and Coatings Technology, 2013, vol. 222, pp. 1–8. doi: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2012.12.044
8. Luo F., Ong W., Guan Y., Li F., Sun S., Lim G.C., Hong M. Study of micro/nanostructures formed by a nanosecond laser in gaseous environments for stainless steel surface coloring. Applied Surface Science, 2015, vol. 328, pp. 405–409. doi: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2014.12.053
9. Antonczak J., Kocon D., Nowak M., Koziol P., Abramski K.M. Laser-induced colour marking - sensitivity scaling for a stainless steel. Applied Surface Science, 2013, vol. 264, pp. 229–236. doi: 10.1016/j.apsusc.2012.09.178
10. Veiko V., Odintsova G., Ageev E., Karlagina Y., Loginov A., Skuratova A., Gorbunova E. Controlled oxide films formation by nanosecond laser pulses for color marking. Optics Express, 2014, vol. 22, no. 20, pp. 24342–24347. doi: 10.1364/OE.22.024342
11. Veiko V.P., Slobodov A.A., Odintsova G.V. Application of chemical thermodynamics to analysis of laser thermochemical action on metals. Journal of Instrument Engineering, 2014, vol. 57, no. 6, pp. 58–65.
12. Veiko V.P., Slobodov A.A., Odintsova G.V. Availability of methods of chemical thermodynamics and kinetics for the analysis of chemical transformations on metal surfaces under pulsed laser action. Laser Physics, 2013, vol. 23, no. 6, art. 066001.
13. Birks N., Meier G.H. Introduction to High Temperature Oxidation of Metals. London, Edward Arnold, 1983, 187 p.
14. Veiko V., Odintsova G., Gorbunova E., Ageev E., Shimko A., Karlagina Y., Andreeva Y. Development of complete color palette based on spectrophotometric measurements of steel oxidation results for enhancement of color laser marking technology. Material and Design, 2016, vol. 89, pp. 684–688. doi: 10.1016/j.matdes.2015.10.030
15. Somervuori M.E., Johansson L.-S., Heinonen M.H., van Hoecke D.H.D., Akdut N., Hänninen H.E. Characterisation and corrosion of spot welds of austenitic stainless steels. Materials and Corrosion, 2004, vol. 55, no. 6, pp. 421–436. doi: 10.1002/maco.200303753
16. Sugimoto K., Seto M., Tanaka S., Hara N. Conference on Oxide Films on Metals and Alloys. Toronto, Canada, 1992, p. 530.
17. Brown M.S., Arnold C.B. Fundamentals of laser-material interaction and application to multi scale surface modification. In Laser Precision Microfabrication. Eds. K. Sugioka, M. Meunier, A. Pique. Springer, 2010, pp. 91–120. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-10523-4_4