ANALYSIS OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN DEGREE OF BLOOD OXYGENATION AND BACKSCATTERED RADIATION WITH THE USE OF NUMERICAL MODELING
Read the full article ';
For citation: Kozyreva O.D., Pushkareva A.E., Shalobaev E.V., Biro I. Analysis of blood oxygenation level effect on backscattered radiation signal by means of numerical modeling. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2015, vol.15, no. 1, pp. 163–165 (in English)
A key role in measuring the level of blood oxygenation is played by a dependence of the signal being measured on the wavelength at which measurements are performed. This paper presents a study of the blood oxygenation effect on the signal of diffusely scattered radiation in the range of 590-860 nm wavelengths. On the basis of previous studies the spectral characteristic of backscattered signal for different levels of blood oxygenation was obtained by the Monte Carlo modeling. In this model photon is characterized by coordinates and weight. The size, step and direction of photon motion from the initial point are determined at each step and specified by means of the random number generator. At each step the photon loses some weight due to absorption. Reducing of the photon weight is also taken into consideration as a result of Fresnel reflection and total internal reflection at two media borderland (the air and blood). The optimal wavelengths range for application in oximeters for sufficiently accurate non-contact measurements of blood oxygenation level by detecting scattered radiation is 650-750 nm. The adequacy of suggested model has been tested by comparing calculated characteristic with experimental results obtained by means of double integral sphere. The highest relative backscattered signal (0.17-0.21) is recorded at 700 nm.
1. Shalobaev E.V., Yurkova G.N., Monahov Yu.S., Efimenko V.T., Efimenko A.V., Korndorf S.F., Dunaev A.V. Problems of creation of biological feedback and it’s application in the medical scanning equipment // Izvestiya Orlovskogo Gosudarstvennogo Tekhnicheskogo Universiteta. Seriya: Mashinostroenie. Priborostroenie. 2003. N 4. P. 92–97. (in Russian)
2. ARMED company. Available at: http://www.armed.ru/catalog/581/2610/ (accessed 22.07.2014).
3. Dunaev A.V., Evstigneev A.R., Shalobaev E.V. Laser Therapeutic Apparatus. Oryol: OSTU Publ., 2005. 143 p. (in Russian)
4. Tuchin V.V. Opticheskaya Biomeditsinskaya Diagnostika [Optical Biomedical Diagnostic]. Moscow: FIZMATLIT Publ., 2006. 560 p.
5. Shalobaev E.V., Leontyeva N.V., Monahov Yu.S., Efimenko A.V., Podmasteryev K.V., Dunaev A.V. The use of biofeedback and tomography tools in laser scanning physiotherapeutic settings // Technologies of Living Systems. 2009. N 4. P. 66–72. (in Russian)
6. Shalobaev E.V., Dunaev A.V., Kozyreva O.D. Scan laser therapy with the use of biological feedbacks and mechatronic aspects design of medical devices // Fundamental'nye i Prikladnye Problemy Tekhniki i Tekhnologii. 2014. N 1(303). P. 101–108. (in Russian)
7. Li H., Lin L., Xie S. Refractive index of human whole blood with different types in the visible and near-infrared ranges // Proc. of SPIE – The International Society for Optical Engineering. 2000. V. 3914. P. 517–521.
8. Berlien H.P., Muller G.J. Applied Laser Medicine. NY.: Springer, 2003. 764 p.
9. Douven L.F.A., Lucassen G.W. Retrieval of optical properties of skin from measurement and modeling the diffuse reflectance // Proc. of SPIE – The International Society for Optical Engineering. 2000. V. 3914. P. 312–323.
10. Pushkareva A.E. Metody Matematicheskogo Modelirovaniya v Optike Biotkani [Mathematical Modeling Methods in Optics of Biological Tissue]. St. Petersburg: SPbGU ITMO Publ., 2008. 103 p. (in Russian)
11. Lademann J., Weigmann H.-J., Sterry W., Roggan A., Müller G., Priezzhev A.V., Firsov N.N. Investigation of the aggregation and disaggregation properties of erythrocytes by light scattering measurements // Laser Physics. 1999. V. 9. N 1. P. 357–362.
12. Brankov G. Basics of Biomechanics. Moscow: Mir Publ., 1981. 254 p.
13. Parashin V.B., Itkin G.P. Biomechanics of Blood Circulation. Moscow: Bauman MSTU Press, 2005. 224 p. (in Russian)
14. Zherebtsov E.A. Metod i ustroystvo metrologicheskogo kontrolya sostoyaniya priborov lazernoy doplerovskoy floumetrii. Avtoref. diss. [Method and device for monitoring the status of metrological laser Doppler flowmetry instruments. Ph.D. theses]. Orel: State University ESPC, 2013. 16 p.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License