METHOD FOR CREATION OF SPHERICAL PANORAMAS FROM IMAGES OBTAINED BY OMNIDIRECTIONAL OPTOELECTRONIC SYSTEMS
Read the full article ';
For citation: Lazarenko V.P., Dzhamiykov T.S., Korotaev V.V., Yarishev S.N. Method for creation of spherical panoramas from images obtained by omnidirectional optoelectronic systems. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 46–53.
Subject of Study. The key feature of spherical panoramas is the maximum possible angle of view (360 × 180 degrees). Omnidirectional optical-electronic systems are able to produce images that show most of this space, but these images are different from the canonical spherical panoramas. This paper proposes a method of converting the circular images obtained by omnidirectional optical systems, to canonical spherical panoramic images with the use ofcalibration procedure of omnidirectional optical-electronic system. Method. The process of spherical panoramas creation consists of three steps.The first step includesthe forming of virtual surface in the object space corresponding to a field of view of the spherical panorama. The surface is defined by the three-dimensional array of pixels.At the second step the coordinates of images of these points in the plane of the detectorare specified. At the third step pixel-by-pixel forming of the output imageisperformed from the original omnidirectional image with the use of coordinates obtained at the second step. Main Results. We have considered the geometric projectionmodel of spherical panoramas. The algorithm has been proposed calculating the three-dimensional array of pixels, characterizing the field of view of a spherical panorama and convenient for practical usage. The developed method is designed to work with omnidirectional optical-electronic systems both with catadioptric optical systems and with fisheye lens. Experimental results confirming the validity of this method are presented. The reprojection mean-square error was equal to 0.794 px. Practical Relevance. The proposed method can be applied in technologies of creating of virtual tours or panoramas of streets where spherical panoramic images are the standard for storing visual information. The method may also find its application in various fields of robotics, orientation and navigation of space vehicles and UAVs.
Acknowledgements. This work was partially financially supported by the Government of the Russian Federation, Grant 074-U01.
1. Solomatin V.A., Ivanova N.V. Covremennye napravleniya razvitiya panoramnykh opticheskikh i optiko-elektronnykh sistem [Modern trends in development of the panoramic optical and opto-electronic systems]. Trudy Mezhdunarodnoi Konferentsii Prikladnaya Optika [Proc. Int. Conf. on Applied Optics]. St. Petersburg, Russia, 2012, pp. 141–144.
2. Yarishev S., Konyahin I.A., Timofeev A.N. Universal opto-electronic measuring modules in distributed measuring systems. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2009, vol. 7133, art. 71333Y. doi: 10.1117/12.821251
3. Konyahin I.A., Timofeev A.N., Yarishev S.N. High precision angular and linear mesurements using universal opto-electronic measuring modules in distributed measuring systems. Key Engineering Materials, 2010, vol. 437, pp. 160–164. doi: 10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.437.160
4. Korotaev V.V., Konyahin I.A., Timofeev A.N., Yarishev S.N. High precision multimatrix optic-electronic modules for distributed measuring systems. Proceedings of SPIE - The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2010, vol. 7544, art. 75441E. doi: 10.1117/12.886294
5. Lazarenko V., Yarishev S. The algorithm for transforming a hemispherical field-of-view image. Proc. 3rd Int. Topical Meeting on Optical Sensing and Artificial Vision, OSAV'2012. St. Petersburg, Russia, 2012, pp. 35–38.
6. Lazarenko V., Korotaev V., Yaryshev S. The algorithm for transformation of images from omnidirectional cameras. Proc. Latin America Optics and Photonics Conference, LAOP 2014. Mexico, 2014, art. LTh4A.43.
7. Lazarenko V.P., Yarishev S.N. Algoritm transformatsii izobrazhenii s polusfericheskim polem zreniya [Algorithm for image transformation with a hemispherical field of view]. Aktual'nye Teoreticheskie i Prakticheskie Voprosy Sovremennogo Optiko-Elektronnogo Priborostroeniya [Actual Theoretical and Practical Aspects of Modern Opto-Electronic Instrumentmaking]. Ed. V.V. Korotaev. St. Petersburg, NRU ITMO, 2012, pp. 103–105.
8. Lazarenko V.P., Djamiykov T.S., Korotaev V.V., Yaryshev S.N. Transformation algorithm for images obtained by omnidirectional cameras. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2015, vol.15, no. 1, pp. 30–39 (in Russian) doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2015-15-1-30-39
9. Lazarenko V.P., Yarishev S., Korotaev V. The algorithm for generation of panoramic images for omnidirectional cameras. Proceedings of SPIE – The International Society for Optical Engineering, 2015, vol. 9530, art. 95300K. doi: 10.1117/12.2184584
10. Scaramuzza D., Martinelli A., Siegwart R. A flexible technique for accurate omnidirectional camera calibration and structure from motion. Proc. 4th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision Systems, ICVS'06. NY, USA, 2006, vol. 2006, art. 1578733, p. 45. doi: 10.1109/ICVS.2006.3
11. Scaramuzza D., Martinelli A., Siegwart R. A toolbox for easily calibrating omnidirectional cameras. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, IROS 2006. Beijing, China, 2006, art. 4059340, pp. 5695–5701. doi: 10.1109/IROS.2006.282372
12. Volosov D.S. Fotograficheskaya Optika. Teoriya, Osnovy Proektirovaniya, Opticheskie Kharakteristiki [Photographic Optics. Theory, Principles of Design, Optical Characteristics]. Moscow, Iskusstvo Publ., 1978, 543 p.
13. Brosz J., Samavati F. Shape defined panoramas. Proc. Int. Conf. on Shape Modeling and Applications, SMI 2010. Aix-en-Provence, France, 2010, pp. 57–67. doi: 10.1109/SMI.2010.23
14. Salomon D. Transformations and Projections in Computer Graphics. Springer-Verlag, 2006, 283 p.
15. Golushko M.N., Yaryshev S.N. Optiko-elektronnaya sistema nablyudeniya "Taifun" [Optoelectronic observing system "Typhoon"]. Voprosy Radioelektroniki. Seriya: Tekhnika Televideniya, 2014, no. 1, pp. 38–42.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License