SPECTRAL CHARACTERISTICS OF MID-INFRARED LIGHT-EMITTING DIODES BASED ON InAs (Sb,P)
Read the full article ';
For citation: Zhumashev N.K., Mynbaev K.D., Bazhenov N.L., Stoyanov N.D., Kizhaev S.S., Gurina T.I., Astakhova A.P., Tchernyaev A.V., Molchanov S.S., Lipsanen H., Salikhov Kh.M., Bougrov V.E. Spectral characteristics of mid-infrared light-emitting diodes based on InAs(Sb,P). Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 76–84.
Subject of Study.We consider spectral characteristics of mid-infrared light-emitting diodes with heterostructures based on InAs(Sb,P) emitting at T=300 K in the wavelength range 3.4–4.1 micrometers. The aim of the study was to search for the ways of increasing the diode efficiency. Methods. The heterostructures were grown from metal-organic chemical compounds with the use of vapor-phase epitaxial technique. The spectra were recorded under pulse excitation with the use of computer-controlled installation employing MDR-23 grating monochromator and a lock-in amplifier. InSb photodiode was used as a detector. Comparative study of electroluminescence spectra of the diodes was carried out at the temperatures equal to 300 K and 77 K. We compared the obtained data with the calculation results of the band diagrams of the heterostructures. Main Results. As a result of comparative study of the electroluminescence spectra of the diodes recorded at 300 K and 77 K we have established that increasing of their efficiency is hindered by substantial influence of Auger recombination. For the first time at 77 Кwe have observed the effect of stimulated emission from InAsSb active layer in light-emitting structures made of InAs/InAsSb/InAsSbP. For heterostructures with quantum wells InAs/(InAs/InAsSb)/InAsSbP we have found out that at 77 Кthe carrier recombination occurs outside quantum wells, which points out to the insufficient carrier localization in the active layer. Thus, we have shown that the efficiency of mid-infrared light-emitting diodes based on InAs(Sb,P) can be increased via suppression of Auger-recombination and improvement of carrier localization in the active region. Practical Relevance. The results of the study can be used for development of heterostructures for mid-infrared light-emitting diodes.
Acknowledgements. This work was financially supported by the Russian Government via funds allotted for the implementation of the Program for competitive growth of ITMO University among the leading world academic centres for 2013-2020.
1. Stoyanov N.D., Zhurtanov B.E., Astakhova A.P., Imenkov A.N., Yakovlev Yu.P. High-efficiency LEDs of 1.6-2.4 μm spectral range for medical diagnostics and environment monitoring. Semiconductors, 2003, vol. 37, no. 8, pp. 971–984. doi: 10.1134/1.1601668
2. Mid-infrared Semiconductor Optoelectronics / Ed. A. Krier. Berlin: Springer, 2006, 379 p.
3. Allerman A.A., Kutrz S.R., Biefield R.M., Baucom K.C., Burkhart J.H. Development of InAsSb–based light emitting diodes for chemical sensing systems. Proceedings of SPIE, 1998, vol. 3279, pp. 126–133. doi: 10.1117/12.304418
4. Bazhenov N.L., Zhurtanov B.E., Mynbaev K.D., Astakhova A.P., Imenkov A.N., Mikhailova M.P., Smirnov V.A., Stoyanov N.D., Yakovlev Yu.P. Impact-ionization-stimulated electroluminescence in isotype N-GaSb/N-AlGaAsSb/N-GaInAsSb heterostructures. Technical Physics Letters, 2007, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 987–989. doi: 10.1134/S1063785007120012
5. Petukhov A.A., Kizhaev S.S., Molchanov S.S., Stoyanov N.D., Yakovlev Y.P. Electrical and electroluminescent properties of InAsSb-Based LEDs (λ = 3.85-3.95 μm) in the temperature interval 20-200°C. Technical Physics. The Russian Journal of Applied Physics, 2012, vol. 57, no.1, pp. 69–73.
6. Stoyanov N.D., Salikhov Kh.M., Kalinina K.V., Kizhaev S.S., Chernyaev A.V. Super low power consumption middle infrared LED–PD optopairs for chemical sensing. Proceedings of SPIE, 2014, vol. 8982, art. 89821A. doi: 10.1117/12.2036277
7. Krier A., Yin M., Smirnov V., Batty P., Carrington P.J., Solovev V., Sherstnev V. The development of room temperature LEDs and lasers for the mid–infrared spectral range. Physica Status Solidi (A) Applications and Materials Science, 2008, vol. 205, no. 1, pp. 129–143. doi: 10.1002/pssa.200776833
8. Zotova N.V., Il'inskaya N.D., Karandashev S.A., Matveev B.A., Remennyi M.A., Stus' N.M. Sources of spontaneous emission based on indium arsenide. Semiconductors, 2008, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 625–641. doi: 10.1134/S1063782608060018
9. Petuhov A.A., Il'inskaya N.D., Kizhaev S.S., Stoyanov N.D., Yakovlev Y.P. Effect of temperature on the electroluminescent properties of mid-IR (λmax ≈ 4.4 μm) flip-chip LEDs based on an InAs/InAsSbP heterostructure. Semiconductors, 2011, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 1501–1504. doi: 10.1134/S1063782611110200
10. Milns A.G., Feuch J.J. Heterojunctions and Metal Semiconductor Junctions. NY, Academic, 1972, 419 p.
11. Adachi S. Band gaps and refractive indices of AlGaAsSb, GaInAsSb and InPAsSb: key properties for a variety of the 2–4 μm optoelectronic device applications. Journal of Applied Physics, 1987, vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 4869–4876. doi: 10.1063/1.338352
12. Vurgaftman I., Meyer J.R., Ram-Mohan L.R. Band parameters for III–V compound semiconductors and their alloys. Journal of Applied Physics, 2001, vol. 89, no. 11, pp. 5815–5875. doi: 10.1063/1.1368156
13. Flugge S. Rechenmethoden der Quantentheorie. Springer, 1965.
14. Matveev B., Zotova N., Il'inskaya N., Karandashev S., Remennyi M., Stus N. Spontaneous and stimulated emission in InAs LEDs with cavity formed by gold anode and semiconductor/air interface. Physica Status Solidi C: Conferences, 2005, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 927–930. doi: 10.1002/pssc.200460343
15. Sherstnev V.V., Monakhov A.M., Astakhova A.P., Kislyakova A.Yu., Yakovlev Yu.P., Averkiev N.S., Krier A., Hill G. Semiconductor WGM lasers for the mid-IR spectral range. Semiconductors, 2005, vol. 39, no. 9, pp. 1087–1092. doi: 10.1134/1.2042604
16. Monakhov A.M., Krier A., Sherstnev V.V. The effect of current crowding on the electroluminescence of InAs mid-infrared light emitting diodes. Semiconductor Science and Technology, 2004, vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 480–484. doi: 10.1088/0268-1242/19/3/034
17. Koerperick E.J., Olesberg J.T., Hicks J.L., Prineas J.P., Boggess T.F., Jr. High-power MWIR cascaded InAs–GaSb superlattice LEDs. IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, 2009, vol. 45, no. 7, pp. 849–853. doi: 10.1109/JQE.2009.2013176
18. Sanjeev, Chakrabarti P. Generic model of an InAsSb/InAsSbP DH-LED for midinfrared (2-5 µm) applications. Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials, Rapid Communications, 2009, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 515–524.
19. Abakumov V.N., Perel' V.I., Yassievich I.N. Bezyzluchatel'naya Rekombinatsiya v Poluprovodnikakh [Nonradiative Recombination in Semiconductors]. St. Petersburg, PNPI RAS Publ., 1997, 376 p.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License