EVALUATION OF CHROMATICITY COORDINATES SHIFT FOR IMAGE DISPLAYED ON LIQUID CRYSTAL PANELS WITH VARIOUS PROPERTIES ON COLOR REPRODUCTION
Read the full article ';
For citation: Zharinov I.O., Zharinov O.O. Evaluation of chromaticity coordinates shift for image displayed on liquid crystal panels with various properties on color reproduction. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 237–243. doi:10.17586/2226-1494-2016-16-2-237-243
Subject of Research.We consider the problem of evaluation of chromaticity coordinates shift for image displayed on liquid crystal panels with various properties on color reproduction. A mathematical model represents the color reproduction characteristics. The spread of the color characteristics of the screens has a statistical nature. Differences of color reproduction for screens are perceived by the observer in the form of different colors and shades that are displayed on the same type of commercially available screens. Color differences are characterized by numerical measure of the difference of colors and can be mathematically compensated. The solution of accounting problem of the statistical nature of the color characteristics spread for the screens has a particular relevance to aviation instrumentation. Method. Evaluation of chromaticity coordinates shift of the image is based on the application of the Grassmann laws of color mixing.Basic data for quantitative calculation of shift are the profiles of two different liquid crystal panels defined by matrixes of scales for components of primary colors (red, green, blue). The calculation is based on solving the system of equations and calculating the color difference in the XY-plane. In general, the calculation can be performed in other color spaces: UV, Lab. The statistical nature of the spread of the color characteristics for the screens is accounted for in the proposed mathematical model based on the interval setting of coordinate values of the color gamut triangle vertices on the set of commercially available samples. Main Results. Carried outresearches result in the mathematical expressions allowing to recalculate values of chromaticity coordinates of the image displayed on various samples of liquid crystal screens. It is shown that the spread of the color characteristics of the screens follows bivariate normal distribution law with the accuracy sufficient for practice. The results of simulation are given. We present the ellipses of section for histograms of distribution of chromaticity coordinates for five randomly defined colors that are consistent with the theoretical expressions. Practical Relevance. Research results are usable for engineers designing modern indication equipment based on LCD-panels and for manufacturers while colorimetric calculations and estimation of technological tolerance of chromaticity coordinates among display units in mass production as well.
1. Barber S., Dunbar L.L., Hardin D., Seah K. Aeronautical Chart Display Apparatus and Method. Patent US, no. 7417641, 2008.
2. Gatchin Y.A., Zharinov I.O., Korobeynikov A.G., Zharinov O.O. Theoretical estimation of Grassmann’s transformation resolution in avionics color coding systems. Modern Applied Science, 2015, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 197–210. doi: 10.5539/mas.v9n5p197
3. Kumar S.V., Ramana P.V. Color selection algorithm design for smart lighting application. International Journal of Computer Science and Information Technology & Security, 2014, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 8–13.
4. Kwak Y., Lee S., Choe W., Kim C.-Y. Optimal chromaticities of the primaries for gamut 3-channel display. Proceeding of SPIE, 2005, vol. 5667, p. 319–327. doi: 10.1117/12.587338
5. Zharinov I.O., Zharinov O.O., Kostishin M.O. The research of redundacy in avionics color palette for on-board indication equipment. Proc. of International Siberian Conference on Control and Communications, SIBCON-2015. Omsk, Russian Federation, 2015, art. 7147313. doi: 10.1109/SIBCON.2015.7147313
6. Zargaryants G.S., Mikhailov O.M. Integral remote colorimeter bases on the RGB colorimetric system // Light & Engineering. 2008. V. 16. N 3. P. 69–77.
7. Aleksanin S.A., Zharinov I.O., Korobeynikov A.G., Perezyabov O.A., Zharinov O.O. Evaluation of chromaticity coordinate shifts for visually perceived image in terms of exposure to external illuminance. ARPN Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 2015, vol. 10, no. 17, pp. 7494–7501.
8. Huang W., Li J.-M., Yang L.-M., Jin Zh.-L., Zhong Zh.-G., Liu Y. Local dimming algorithm and color gamut calibration for RGB LED backlight LCD display. Optics and Laser Technology, 2011, vol. 43, pp. 214–217. doi: 10.1016/j.optlastec.2010.06.016
9. Menesatti P., Angelini C., Pallottino F., Antonucci F., Aguzzi Y., Costa C. RGB color calibration for quantitative image analysis: the «3D Thin-Plate Spline» warping approach. Sensors, 2012, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 7063–7079. doi: 10.3390/s120607063
10. Seetzen H., Makki S., Ip H., Wan Th., Kwong V., Ward Gr., Heidrich W., Whitehead L. Self-calibrating wide color gamut high dynamic range display. Proceeding of SPIE, 2007, vol. 6492, art. 64920Z. doi: 10.1117/12.720875
11. Zharinov I.O., Zharinov O.O. Method of software-based compensation of technological variation in chromaticity coordinates of LCD panels. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2015, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 387–397. (in Russian). doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2015-15-3-387-397
12. Levin B.R. Teoreticheskie Osnovy Statisticheskoj Radiotehniki [Theoretical foundations of statistical radio engineering]. Moscow, Sovetskoe Radio Publ., 1969, part 1, 752 p. (in Russian).
13. Justel A., Pena D., Zamar R. A multivariate Kolmogorov-Smirnov test of goodness of fit. Statistics and Probability Letter, 1997, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 251–259.
14. Livada B. Avionic displays. Scientific Technical Review, 2012, vol. 62, no. 3–4, pp. 70–79.
15. Desjardins D.D. Military Displays: Technology and Applications. SPIE Press, 2013, 170 p.
16. Bogatyrev V.A. Reliability and efficiency reservations of computer networks. Informatsionnye Tekhnologii, 2006, no. 9, pp. 25–30. (in Russian).
17. Bogatyrev V.A., Bogatyrev S.V. Association reservation servers in clasters highly reliable computer system. Informatsionnye Tekhnologii, 2009, no. 6, pp. 41–47. (in Russian).
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License