RESEARCH OF THERMO-OPTICAL INHOMOGENEITIES IN Yb-Er GLASS AT DIODE PUMPING
Read the full article ';
For citation: Khramov V.Yu., Chavkin I.V., Chavkina K.M. Research of thermo-optical inhomogeneities in Yb-Er glass at diode pumping. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 265–270. doi:10.17586/2226-1494-2016-16-2-265-270
Subject of Research. Investigation method of thermo-optical distortions in solid-state lasers was developed and presented. The method can be easily used for research of small diameter (approximately 2 mm) active elements. Method. The experimental method described in this paper is based on the registration of deviation of the energy center of the probe beam passing through the thermally stressed active element. Main Results. We have presented experimental results of the thermal lens optical power research in the active element made of Yb-Er glass pumped transversely by a laser diode in the following modes: without generating, free-running and Q-switching. We have submitted obtained dependences of the optical power on the pumping energy. The measurements have been performed for the two polarization components at two wavelengths (632.8 nm and 1550 nm) showing the absence of explicit astigmatism of the thermal lens. Practical Relevance. Knowledge of the thermal regime of such lasers gives the possibility for more precise calculation of the resonator parameters in terms of the thermal lens occurrence.
1. Kabanov V.V., Bogdanovich M.V., Grigor'ev A.V., Ryabtsev A.G., Ryabtsev G.I., Shchemelev M.A. Compact Erbium lasers with pulse repetition frequency of 1-5 Hz for spectroscopy and ranging techniques. Proc. VIII Int. Conf. on Laser Physics and Optical Technologies. Minsk, Belarus', 2010, vol. 1, pp. 86–87.
2. Abazadze A.Yu., Bykov V.N., Zverev G.M., Pleshkov A.A., Simakov V.A. Highly efficient minilaser with transverse pulsed semiconductor pumping for eye-safe laser range-finding. Quantum Electronics, 2002, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 210–212.
3. Gapontsev V.P., Matitsin S.M., Isineev A.A., Kravchenko V.B. Erbium glass lasers and their applications. Optics and Laser Technology, 1982, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 189–196. doi: 10.1016/0030-3992(82)90095-0
4. Liu S., Song F., Cai H., Li T., Tian B., Wu Z., Tian J. Effect of thermal lens on beam quality and mode matching in LD pumped Er-Yb-codoped phosphate glass microchip laser. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 2008, vol. 41, no. 3, art. 035104. doi: 10.1088/0022-3727/41/3/035104
5. Mezenov A.V., Soms L.N., Stepanov A.I. Termooptika Tverdotel'nykh Lazerov [Thermooptics of Solid-State Lasers]. Leningrad, Mashinostroenie Publ., 1986, 199 p.
6. Batov Yu.N., Gubin A.B., Pirozhkov Yu.B., Shapiro L.L. Thermal balance in compact pulsed erbium glass lasers with diode pumping. Journal of Optical Technology, 2002, vol. 69, no. 9, pp. 605–609.
7. Kuchma I.G., Petrov A.A. Fromzel V.A. Effect of active-medium temperature on the lasing characteristics of erbium-glass lasers. Optics and Spectroscopy, 1991, vol. 71, no. 1, pp. 105–109.
8. Matsuoka J., Kitamura N., Fujinaga S., Kitaoka T., Yamashita H. Temperature dependence of refractive index of SiO2 glass. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 1991, vol. 135, no. 1, pp. 86–89. doi: 10.1016/0022-3093(91)90447-E
9. Boutchenkov V., Kuchma I., Levoshkin A., Mak A., A Petrov., Hollemann G. High efficiency diode-pumped Q-switched Yb:Er:glass lasers. Optics Communications, 2000, vol. 117, no. 1, pp. 383–388. doi: 10.1016/S0030-4018(00)00608-8
10. Scaggs M., Haas G. Real time monitoring of thermal lensing of a multikilowatt fiber laser optical system. Proceeding of SPIE, 2012, vol. 8236, art. 82360H. doi: 10.1117/12.907508
11. Koechner W. Thermal lensing in a Nd to YAG laser rod. Applied Optics, 1970, vol. 9, no. 11, pp. 2548–2553.
12. Byshevskaya-Konopko L.O., Vorob'ev I.L., Izyneev A.A., Sadovskii P.I. Heat dissipation accompanying lamp pumping in an erbium active element. Journal of Optical Technology, 2013, vol. 80, no. 10, pp. 594–600.
13. Lancaster D.G., Dawes J.M. Thermal-lens measurement of a quasi steady-state repetitive flashlamp-pumped Cr, Tm, Ho:YAG laser. Optics and Laser Technology, 1998, vol. 30, no. 2, pp. 103–108.
14. Stucinskas D. Thermal Lens Diagnostics and Mitigation in Diode End Pumped Lasers. PhD Dissertation. Vilnius University, 2010.
15. Mak A.A., Soms L.N., Fromzel' V.A., Yashin V.E. Lazery na Neodimovom Stekle [Nd: Glass Lasers]. Moscow, Nauka Publ., 1990, 288 p.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License