STUDY OF THE EFFECT OF ENDFACES POLISHING ANGLE FOR ANISOTROPIC WAVEGUIDES ON STATE CONVERSION OF LIGHT POLARIZATION
Read the full article
For citation: Shulepov V.A., Aksarin S.M., Strigalev V.E. Study of the effect of endfaces polishing angle for anisotropic waveguides on state conversion of light polarization. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 3, pp. 444–450. doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2016-16-3-444-450
The paper deals with optical scheme for research of polarization state transformation at the junction of anisotropic waveguides. It consists of a light source, polarization controller, multifunctional integrated optical scheme (MIOS), single-mode fiber for input and output of optical radiation in MIOS and the polarization scanning Michelson interferometer. Optical radiation from the source of the plant comes through the polarization controller in one of the MIOS ports. Further, in one of the opposite ports the radiation is received by different fibers, polished at the angles of 19.5˚, 10.5˚ and 0˚. After that, the optical radiation gets into polarization Michelson interferometer. With that, the picture visibility is analyzed at different displacement of one arm upon which the value has been determined in the polarization conversion point connections. At the course of work it was obtained that the polarization state conversion at a splicing point rises with the slant angle deviation from its optimal value. Anisotropic waveguides splicing is one of the main tasks during fabrication of any fiber-optic sensor with integrated optical elements. The results of this work are of great interest for the wide range of specialists in the optical waveguides application field.
Acknowledgements. The authors acknowledge the specialists of Quantum Electronics Laboratory of The Ioffe Institute for provided samples of multifunction integrated optical schemes. This work was done in ITMO University and was supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (The unique identifier of the project: RFMEFI57815X0109, Contract No14.578.21.0109).
1. Tamir T. Guided-Wave Optoelectronics. Springer-Verlag, 1988.
2. Aksarin S.M., Strigalev V.E. Investigation of the birefringence dispersion influence on the accuracy of angular harmonization polarization mode of optical waveguides in fiber optic gyro. Sbornik Trudov VII Mezhdunarodnoi Konferentsii «Optika-2011» [Proc. VII Int. Conf. on Optics 2011]. St. Petersburg, 2011, pp. 480–481. (In Russian)
3. Tamir T. Integrated Optics. Berlin-NY: Springer-Verlag, 1975.
4. Serebryakova V., Deineka G. Kanal'nye Opticheskie Volnovody. Modelirovanie [Ducted Optical Waveguides. Modeling]. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, 2012, 92 p.
5. Lefevre H. The Fiber-Optic Gyroscope. London, Artech House, 1992, 303 p.
6. Alejnik A.S., Meshkovskij I.K., Strigalev V.E. Fibre-Optic Gyroscope. Patent RU2444704, 2012.
7. Okosi T., Okamoto K., Otsu M., Nisihara H., Kuma K., Hatate K. Fiber-Optic Sensors. Leningrad, Energoatomidat Publ., 1990, 256 p. (in Russian)
8. Ivanov A.B. Volokonnaya Optika: Komponenty, Sistemy Peredachi, Izmereniya [Fiber Optics: Components, Transmission Systems, Measurements]. Moscow, Kompaniya "Sairus sistems" Publ., 1999, 664 p.
9. Sivukhin D.V. Obshchii Kurs Kiziki. Tom IV. Optika [General Course of Physics. Volume IV. Optics]. Moscow, Fizmatli Publ., 2005, 792 p.
10. Detlaf A.A., Yavorskii B.M. Kurs Fiziki. Tom 3. Volnovye Protsessy. Optika. Atomnaya i Yadernaya Fizika [Course of Physics. Volume III. Wave Processes. Optics. Atomic and Nuclear Physics]. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola Publ., 1979, 511 p.
11. Irodov I.E. Volnovye Protsessy. Osnovnye Zakony [Wave Processes. Basic Laws]. 4th ed. Moscow, BINOM, 2007, 263 p. (In Russian)
12. Aksarin S.M., Strigalev V.E. Method and apparatus for studying local changes in optical fibers with birefringence. Sbornik Tezisov Dokladov Kongressa Molodykh Uchenykh [Proc. Congress of Young Scientists]. St. Petersburg, 2012, no. 2, pp. 44–45. (In Russian)
13. Shramko O.A., Rupasov A.V., Novikov R.L., Aksarin S.M. Analysis method of anisotropic lightguide h-parameter dependence on its bending radius. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2014, no. 1 (89), pp. 26–31. (In Russian)
14. Mukhtubayev A.B., Aksarin S.M. Influence of the orthogonally polarized back reflections on the power and radiation spectrum of superluminescent diodes. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2015, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 65–69 (in Russian) doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2015-15-1-65-69
15. Special Systems. Catalogue. Available at: http://sphotonics.ru/catalog/volokonnye-razvetviteli-s-sokhraneniem-polyarizatsii/pfc-98/ (accessed 30.04.2016).
16. Aksarin S.M., Gerasimova M.M., Lavrov V.S., Utkin A.A. Temperature effect on the optical characteristics of the weld joint anisotropic optical fibers. St. Petersburg, 2015. Available at: http://openbooks.ifmo.ru/ru/file/1177/1177.pdf (accessed 30.04.2016).
17. Eron'yan M.A., Meshkovskii I.K. Osnovy Nanotekhnologii Anizotropnykh Odnomodovykh Volokonnykh Svetovodov [Basics of Nanotechnology of Anisotropic Single-mode Optical Fibers]. St. Petersburg, ITMO University, 2014, 80 p.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License