COMPRESSION OF FEW-CYCLE OPTICAL PULSES AND UNIPOLAR PULSE GENERATION DUE TO COHERENT INTERACTION WITH NONLINEAR RESONANT MEDIUM
Read the full article ';
For citation: Arkhipov R.M., Arkhipov M.V, Babushkin I.V., Rosanov N.N. Compression of few-cycle optical pulses and unipolar pulse generation due to coherent interaction with nonlinear resonant medium. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 6, pp. 996–1003. doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2016-16-6-996-1003
We study theoretically the possibility of few-cycle short bipolar optical pulse compression and their transformation to unipolar pulses due to coherent interaction with resonance absorbing medium. It is shown that single-cycle pulse compression occurs when each half-wave starts to behave as an independent unipolar soliton. These solitons are attracted to each other under certain conditions, that leads to the emergence of single-cycle pulse of shorter duration. Numerical simulations revealed 3-5 times reduction of the pulse duration. The substantial absence of light loss in this scheme gives the possibility to create a multistage passive system of three resonance absorbers and results in a 125-time reduction of the pulse duration. Generation of unipolar pulses occurs when two powerful extremely short bipolar pulses propagate and collide in a dense resonant medium. In this case, as shown by numerical calculations, the mutual influence of oncoming solitons leads to the fact that some part of them is destroyed and another part is not. A high power unipolar soliton and low intensity bipolar optical ringing are observed in the medium output.
Acknowledgements. The study was carried out under financial support of the Russian Federation Government (074-U01), Russian Foundation for Basic Research (16-02-00762), German Research Foundation (DFG) (project BA 4156/4-1), and Nieders. Vorab (project ZN3061).
1. Ramasesha K., Leone S.R, Neumark D.M. Real-time probing of electron dynamics using attosecond time-resolved spectroscopy. Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, vol. 67, pp. 41–63. doi: 10.1146/annurev-physchem-040215-112025
2. Peng L.Y., Jiang W.C., Geng J.W., Xiong W.H., Gong Q. Tracing and controlling electronic dynamics in atoms and molecules by attosecond pulses. Physics Reports. 2015, vol. 575, pp. 1–71. doi: 10.1016/j.physrep.2015.02.002
3. Gallmann L., Cirelli C., Keller U. Attosecond science: recent highlights and future trends. Annual Review of Physical Chemistry, 2012, vol. 63, pp. 447–469. doi: 10.1146/annurev-physchem-032511-143702
4. Strelkov V.V., Platonenko V.T., Sterzhantov A.F., Ryabikin M.Yu. Attosecond electromagnetic pulses: generation, measurement, and application. Generation of high-order harmonics of intense laser field for attosecond pulse production. Physics-Uspekhi, 2016, vol. 59, pp. 425–445. doi: 10.3367/UFNe.2015.12.037670
5. Leblond H., Mihalache D. Models of few optical cycle solitons beyond the slowly varying envelope approximation. Physics Reports, 2013, vol. 523, no. 2, pp. 61–126. doi: 10.1016/j.physrep.2012.10.006
6. Kalosha V. P., Herrmann J. Formation of optical subcycle pulses and full Maxwell-Bloch solitary waves by coherent propagation effects. Physical Review Letters, 1999, vol. 83, no. 3, pp. 544–547.
7. Xie X.-T., Macovei M.A. Single-cycle gap soliton in a subwavelength structure. Physical Review Letters, 2010, vol. 104, no.7, art. 073902. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.104.073902
8. Song X., Yang W., Zeng Z., Li R., Xu Z. Unipolar half-cycle pulse generation in asymmetrical media with a periodic subwavelength structure. Physical Review A, 2010, vol. 82, no. 5, art. 053821. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevA.82.053821
9. Kozlov V.V., Rosanov N.N. Wabnitz S. Obtaining single-cycle pulses from a mode-locked laser. Physical Review A, 2011, vol. 84, art. 053810. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevA.84.053810
10. Kozlov V.V., Rosanov N.N. Single-cycle-pulse passively-mode-locked laser with inhomogeneously broadened active medium. Physical Review A, 2013, vol. 87, no. 4, art. 043836. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevA.87.043836
11. Vysotina N.V., Rozanov N.N., Semenov V.E. Extremely short pulses of amplified self-induced transparency. JETP Letters, 2006, vol. 83, no. 7, pp. 279–282. doi: 10.1134/S0021364006070046
12. Rosanov N.N., Semenov V.E., Vysotina N.V. Few-cycle dissipative solitons in active nonlinear optical fibres. Quantum Electronics, 2008, vol. 38, no. 2, pp. 137–143. doi: 10.1070/QE2008v038n02ABEH013568
13. Vysotina N.V., Rosanov N.N., Semenov V.E. Extremely short dissipative solitons in an active nonlinear medium with quantum dots. Optics and Spectroscopy, 2009, vol. 106, no. 5, pp.713–717.
14. Rosanov N.N. Dissipativnye Opticheskie Solitony. Ot Mikro- k Nano- i Atto- [Dissipative Optical Solitons. From Micro to Nano and Atto]. Moscow, Fizmatlit Publ., 2011, 536 p.
15. Allen L., Eberly J.H. Optical Resonance and Two-Level Atoms. NY, Wiley, 1975.
16. McCall S.L., Hahn E.L. Self-induced transparency. Physical Review, 1969, vol. 183, no. 2, pp. 457–485. doi: 10.1103/PhysRev.183.457
17. Belenov E.M., Kryukov P.G., Nazarkin A.V., Prokopovich I.P. Propagation dynamics of high-power femtosecond pulses in Raman-active media. JEPT, vol. 78, no.1, pp. 15–22.
18. Kozlov V.V., Rosanov N.N., Angelis C.D., Wabnitz S. Generation of unipolar pulses from nonunipolar optical pulses in a nonlinear medium. Physical Review A, 2011, vol. 84, no. 2, art. 023818. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevA.84.023818
19. Arkhipov R.M. Particular features of the emission of radiation by a superluminally excited Raman-active medium. Optics and Spectroscopy, 2016, vol. 120, no. 5, pp. 756–759. doi: 10.1134/S0030400X16050039
20. Arkhipov R.M., Arkhipov M.V., Belov P.A., Tolmachev Y.A., Babushkin I. Generation of unipolar optical pulses in a Raman-active medium. Laser Physics Letters, 2016, vol. 13, no. 4, art. 046001. doi: 10.1088/1612-2011/13/4/046001
21. Reimann K. Table-top sources of ultrashort THz pulses. Reports on Progress in Physics, 2007, vol. 70, no. 10, pp. 1597–1632. doi: 10.1088/0034-4885/70/10/R02
22. Wetzels A., Gjrtler A., Noordam L.D, Robicheaux F., Dinu C., Muller H.G., Vrakking M.J.J., van der Zande W.J. Rydberg state ionization by half-cycle-pulse excitation: strong kicks create slow electrons. Physical Review Letters, 2002, vol. 89, no. 27, art. 273003.
23. Macomber J.D. The Dynamics of Spectroscopic Transitions. Wiley, 1976.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License