Ivanova E.I., Fedorov A.V., Astredinova N.V., Ilinskiy A.V., Ashikhin D.S. Opportunity estimation of optical method application in problem of kinematic characteristics registration of dynamic indenting process. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics
, 2017, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 620–627 (in Russian). doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2017-17-4-620-627
Subject of Research.A stereoscopic method of technical vision is proposed for recording the kinematic characteristics of the dynamic indentation process in determining the physico-mechanical properties of materials. The proposed method makes it possible to determine the values of the indenter motion speed with high accuracy. Method. The method is based on the use of two high-speed video cameras immovably fixed on one flat platform. Cameras allow for synchronous recording of the indentation process. The objectives and orientation of cameras in the stereo system provide intersection of the visual fields and the required depth of the image space field. Measurement of the movement speed is performed by triangulation method. The distance between the conjugate points of the recorded object on the stereo images is inversely proportional to the distance between the pair of cameras and the corresponding point of the object in the three-dimensional space. Based on the analysis of images obtained by spatially separated cameras, the coordinates of the object point are determined. Main Results. The experimental setup consisted of two high-speed monochrome camcorders Evercam 4000-32-M, rigidly fixed through stereo. Synchronous recording was kept at a speed of 4000 frames/s with a resolution of 1280 × 860 pixels. The indenter was made in the form of a steel ball with a mass of 230 g with a diameter of 38 mm and fell onto an aluminum disk 10 mm thick from a height of 310 mm. Video images from cameras were transferred to a personal computer for processing. The analysis of the obtained data was carried out in the MATLAB system with the help of a specially written software module. The sensitivity of the proposed method made it possible to determine confidently the values of the maximum approach speed of a steel ball equal to 2.39 m/s and a rebound velocity of 1.2 m/s. The random component of the method error did not exceed 2.5%. Practical Relevance. The development of this approach will enable to create high-precision sensors of dynamic indentation. The research results may be of interest to specialists involved in metrological support and non-destructive testing of materials and products in various fields of engineering and construction.
dynamic indentation, physical and mechanical properties, indenter, stereoscopic system, triangulation method, stereo images References
1. Saxena A., Rai A., Kumaraswamy A. A numerical approach to investigate the effect of temperature on constraint factor of Ti alloy under static indentation conditions. Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals
, 2017, vol. 70, no. 6, pp. 1549–1553. doi: 10.1007/s12666-016-0952-2
2. Koeppel B.J., Subhash G. Dynamic indentation hardness of metals. Solid Mechanics and its Applications
, 2002, vol. 62, pp. 447–456. doi: 10.1007/0-306-46936-7_43
3. Subhash G., Zhang H. Shear band patterns in metallic glasses under static indentation, dynamic indentation, and scratch processes. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
, 2007, vol. 38, no. 12, pp. 2936–2942. doi: 10.1007/s11661-007-9315-2
4. Kren A.P., Protasenya T.A. Determination of the physic and mechanical characteristics of isotropic pyrolitic graphite by dynamic indentation method. Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing
, 2014, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 419–425. doi: 10.1134/S1061830914070079
5. Rudnitsky V.A., Djakovicht V.V. Material testing by the method of dynamic indentation. Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation
, 2007, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 253–261. doi: 10.1080/10589759608952849
6. Cao Y.P., Ji X.Y., Feng X.Q. On determination of the damping factor of linear viscoelastic materials using dynamic indentation: a theoretical study. Science China Physics, Mechanics and Astronomy
, 2011, vol. 54, no. 4, pp. 598–605 doi: 10.1007/s11433-011-4279-z
7. Fei X., Grummon D.S., Ye C., Cheng G.J., Cheng Y.-T. Surface form memory in NiTi shape memory alloys by laser shock indentation. Journal of Materials Science
, 2012,vol. 47,no. 5,pp. 2088–2094. doi: 10.1007/s10853-011-6007-5
8. Matsulevich O.V., Rudnitskii V.A., Litvinovskii D.A. Determination of the concrete elasticity modulus by dynamic indentation. Nerazrushayushchii Kontrol' i Diagnostika, 2012, no. 4, pp. 46–56.(In Russian)
9. Kren A.P. Control of Physical and Mechanical Properties and Crack-Resistance of Nonmetallic Structural Materials by Indentation Methods. Dis. Dr. Eng. Sci. Minsk, 2010, 344 p.
10. Fedorov A.V., Kren A.P. Dynamic indentation device for control of mechanical characteristics of composite materials Proc. 6th Int. Conf. on Functional Nanomaterials and High-Purity Substances. Suzdal', Russia, 2016. (In Russian)
11. Marusin M.P., Protasenya T.A. Development of primary transducer for comparable measurement of mechanical properties of materials. Journal of Instrument Engineering, 2014, vol. 57, no. 10, pp. 85–87.(In Russian)
12. Kren A.P., Protasenya T.A. Determination of the physic and mechanical characteristics of isotropic pyrolitic graphite by dynamic indentation method. Russian Journal of Nondestructive Testing, 2014, vol. 50, no. 7, pp. 419–425. (In Russian)
13. Gruzman I.S., Kirichuk V.S., Kosykh V.P., Peretyagin G.I., Spektor A.A. Digital Image Processing in Information Systems. Novosibirsk, NSTU Publ., 2002, 352 p. (In Russian)
14. Forsyth D.A., Ponce J. Computer Vision: A Modern Approach. Upper Saddle River, 2003.
15. Gonzales R.C.,Woods R.E. Digital Image Processing. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, Prentice Hall, 2002, 793 p.
16. Machikhin A.S. Modern technologies of visual and measuring control of aircraft engines. Dvigatel', 2009, no. 1, pp. 26–28.(In Russian)
17. Machikhin A.S., Kolyuchkin V.Ya., Timashova L.N. Single-chamber scanning stereoscopic system for reconstruction of three-dimensional structure of objects. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2007, no. 38, pp. 142–146.(In Russian)
18. Gonsales R.C., Woods R.E., Eddins S.L. Digital Image Processing Using MATLAB. Prentice Hall, 2004, 344 p.