Mukhtubayev A.B., Aksarin S.M., Strigalev V.E., Novikov R.L. Impact study of anisotropic optical fibers winding with
different tension value on the H-parameter invariance degree. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics
, 2015, vol. 15, no. 5, pp. 803–808.
Subject of Research. We have investigated the effect of anisotropic optical fibers winding with an elliptical sheath subjecting to stress on the H-parameter invariance degree. This type of optical fiber is used in the manufacture of fiber loop in fiber-optic gyroscopes. Method of Research. The method of research is based on the application of Michelson polarization scanning interferometer as a measuring device. Superluminescent diode with a central wavelength of 1575 nm and a half-width of the spectrum equal to 45 nm is used as a radiation source. The studies were carried out with anisotropic optical fiber with 50 m long elliptical sheath subjecting to stress. The fiber was wound with one layer turn to turn on the coil with a diameter of 18 cm, which is used in the design of fiber-optic gyroscope. The tension force of the optical fiber was controlled during winding on a special machine. Main Results. It was found that at the increase of tension force from 0.05 N to 0.8 H the value of H-parameter increases from 7×10-6 1/m up to 178×10-6 1/m, respectively; i.e. the coupling coefficient of orthogonal modes in the test fiber is being increased. Thus, it is necessary to consider the longitudinal tension force of fiber in the design and manufacture of the fiber-optic sensors of high accuracy class: the less the fiber winding power, the higher invariance degree of distributed H-parameter. The longitudinal tension force of anisotropic optical fiber with elliptical sheath subjecting to stress equal to 0.2 N is recommended in the process of designing fiber-optic gyroscopes. Practical Relevance. The proposed method of Michelson scanning interferometer is usable in the production process for quality determination of the optical fiber winding: no local defects, value controlling of fiber H-parameter.
1. Aksarin S.M. Issledovanie Polyarizatsionnykh Metodov i Tekhnologii Soglasovaniya Volokonno-Opticheskikh i Integral'no-Opticheskikh Volnovodov: kand. fiz.-mat. nauk [Study of Polarization Methods and Technologies of Fiber Optic and Integrated Optical Waveguides Matching. Phys.-Math. Sci. Dissertation]. St. Petersburg, 2014, 116 p.
2. Kaminow I.P. Polarization-maintaining fibers. Applied Scientific Research, 1984, vol. 41, no. 3–4, pp. 257– 270. doi: 10.1007/BF00382456
3. Jia M., Yang G. Research of optical fiber coil winding model based on large-deformation theory of elasticity and its application. Chinese Journal of Aeronautics, 2011, vol. 24, no. 5, pp. 640–647. doi: 10.1016/S1000- 9361(11)60075 7
4. Shute Sr. M.W., Brown C.S., Jarzynski J. Polarization model for a helically wound optical fiber. Journal of the Optical Society of America A, 1997, vol. 14, no. 12, pp. 3251–3261.
5. Kotov O.I., Liokumovich L.B., Medvedev A.V. Interference method of measuring the extinction coefficient of birefringent optical fibers. Technical Physics. The Russian Journal of Applied Physics, 2007, vol. 52, no. 9, pp. 1204–1209. doi: 10.1134/S1063784207090162
6. Aksarin S.M., Arkhipov S.V., Varzhel S.V., Kulikov A.V., Strigalev V.E. Dependence investigation of the anisotropic single-mode fiber parameters on a winding diameter. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2013, no. 6 (88), pp. 22–26. (In Russian)
7. Meshkovskii I.K., Kiselev S.S., Kulikov A.V., Novikov R.L. Defects of optical fiber winding in manufacturing of sensitive element of fiber-optic interferometer. Izv. Vuzov. Priborostroenie, 2010, vol. 53, no. 2, pp. 47–51. (In Russian)
8. Shramko O.A., Rupasov A.V., Novikov R.L., Aksarin S.M. Analysis method of anisotropic lightguide hparameter dependence on its bending radius. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2014, no. 1 (89), pp. 26–31. (In Russian)
9. Irodov I.E. Volnovye Protsessy. Osnovnye Zakony [Wave Processes. Basic Laws]. 4th ed. Moscow, BINOM, 2007, 263 p. (In Russian)
10. Sezerman O., Best G. Accurate alignment preserves polarization. Laser Focus World, 1997, vol. 33, no. 12, pp. 27–30.
11. Aksarin S.M., Strigalev V.E. Method and apparatus for studying local changes in optical fibers with birefringence. Sbornik Tezisov Dokladov Kongressa Molodykh Uchenykh [Proc. Congress of Young Scientists]. St. Petersburg, 2012, no. 2, pp. 44–45. (In Russian)
12. Martin P., Le Boudec G., Lefevre H.C. Test apparatus of distributed polarization coupling in fiber gyro coils using white light interferometry. Proceedings of SPIE, 1992, vol. 1585, pp. 173–179. doi: 10.1117/12.135045
13. Lefevre H.C. Fiber-Optic Gyroscopes. Boston, Artech House, 1993, 313 p.
14. Liokumovich L.B. Polyarizatsionnye Effekty v Volokonnykh Interferometrakh na Osnove Dvulucheprelomlyayushchikh Svetovodov. Diss. … dr. fiz.-mat. nauk [Polarization Effects in Optical Interferometers Based on Birefringent Fibers. Phys.-Math. Sci. Dissertation]. St. Petersburg, 2008, 333 p.
15. Kotov O.I., Liokumovich L.B., Markov S.I., Medvedev A.V., Khlybov A.V. Modulation of the phase difference between polarization modes in single-mode fibers. Technical Physics. The Russian Journal of Applied Physics, 2004, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 71–75. doi: 10.1134/1.1642682