MODELS OF LIVE MIGRATION WITH ITERATIVE APPROACH AND MOVE OF VIRTUAL MACHINES
Read the full article ';
For citation: Aleksankov S.M. Models of live migration with iterative approach and move of virtual machines. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2015, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1098–1104.
Subject of Research. The processes of live migration without shared storage with pre-copy approach and move migration are researched. Migration of virtual machines is an important opportunity of virtualization technology. It enables applications to move transparently with their runtime environments between physical machines. Live migration becomes noticeable technology for efficient load balancing and optimizing the deployment of virtual machines to physical hosts in data centres. Before the advent of live migration, only network migration (the so-called, «Move»), has been used, that entails stopping the virtual machine execution while copying to another physical server, and, consequently, unavailability of the service. Method. Algorithms of live migration without shared storage with pre-copy approach and move migration of virtual machines are reviewed from the perspective of research of migration time and unavailability of services at migrating of virtual machines. Main Results. Analytical models are proposed predicting migration time of virtual machines and unavailability of services at migrating with such technologies as live migration with pre-copy approach without shared storage and move migration. In the latest works on the time assessment of unavailability of services and migration time using live migration without shared storage experimental results are described, that are applicable to draw general conclusions about the changes of time for unavailability of services and migration time, but not to predict their values. Practical Significance. The proposed models can be used for predicting the migration time and time of unavailability of services, for example, at implementation of preventive and emergency works on the physical nodes in data centres.
1. Jin H., Li D., Wu S., Shi X., Pan X. Live virtual machine migration with adaptive memory compression. Proc. IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, CLUSTER'09. New Orleans, USA, 2009, art. 5289170. doi: 10.1109/CLUSTR.2009.5289170
2. Bing Wei. A novel energy optimized and workload adaptive modeling for live migration. International Journal of Machine Learning and Computing, 2012, vol. 2, no. 2, pp. 162–167. doi: 10.7763/IJMLC.2012.V2.106
3. Sahni S., Varma V. A hybrid approach to live migration of virtual machines. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Cloud Computing for Emerging Markets, CCEM 2012. Bengalore, India, 2012, pp. 12–16. doi: 10.1109/CCEM.2012.6354587
4. Kosivchenko A. Kompleksnoe reshenie: virtualizatsiya + otkazoustoichivyi klaster [Complete solution: virtualization + failover cluster]. Sistemnyi Administrator, 2009, no. 9(82), pp. 16–19.
5. Obzor Migratsii Virtual'nykh Mashin i Khranilishcha [Review of virtual machines migration and storage]. 2013. Available at: https://technet.microsoft.com/ru-ru/library/jj628158.aspx (accessed 30.05.2015).
6. Wu Y., Zhao M. Performance modeling of virtual machine live migration. Proc. IEEE 4th Int. Conf. on Cloud Computing, CLOUD 2011. Washington, USA, 2011, pp. 492–499. doi: 10.1109/CLOUD.2011.109
7. Bogatyrev V.A., Aleksankov S.M., Demidov D.V., Bezzubov V.F. Reliability of redundant computing complex with recovery limitations. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2013, no. 3(85), pp. 67–72. (in Russian)
8. Bogatyrev V.A. Fault tolerance of clusters configurations with direct connection of storage devices. Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 2011, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 330–337. doi: 10.3103/S0146411611060046
9. Bogatyrev V.A., Bogatyrev S.V. Association reservation servers in clasters highly reliable computer system. Informatsionnye Tekhnologii, 2009, no. 6, pp. 41–47.
10. Bogatyrev V.A., Bogatyrev A.V. Functional reliability of a real-time redundant computational process in cluster architecture systems. Automatic Control and Computer Sciences, 2015, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. 46–56. doi: 10.3103/S0146411615010022
11. Bogatyrev V.A. The combinatorial stochastic method of reliability evaluation and fault tolerance for networks with cluster architecture. Instruments and Systems: Monitoring, Control, and Diagnostics, 2006, no. 6, pp. 21–26.
12. Bogatyrev V.A. An optimum backup execution for the heterogeneous server system. Instruments and Systems: Monitoring, Control, and Diagnostics, 2007, no. 12, pp. 30–36.
13. Bogatyrev V.A., Bogatyrev A.V., Bogatyrev S.V.Requests redistribution between computing clusters under degradation. Izvestiya vuzov. Priborostroenie, 2014, vol. 57, no. 9, pp. 54–58. (In Russian)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License