SYNTHESIS, STRUCTURE AND SPECTRAL PROPERTIES OF POTASSIUMALUMINA- BORATE GLASS WITH NANOCRYSTALS OF MANGANESE FERRITE
Read the full article ';
For citation: Sobolev D.I., Nikonorov N.V., Shirshnev P.S., Nuryev R.K., Stepanov S.A., Panov D.Yu. Synthesis, structure and spectral properties of potassium-alumina-borate glass with nanocrystals of manganese ferrite. Scientific and Technical Journal of Information Technologies, Mechanics and Optics, 2016, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 642–648. doi: 10.17586/2226-1494-2016-16-4-642-648
Subject of Research.The paper presents research results of optical properties of potassium-alumina-borate glass, activated with ions of iron and manganese. The formation process of nanocrystals of manganese ferrite MnFe2O4 in potassium-alumina-borate glass host was studied. Magneto-optical characteristics were analyzed. Method. The studied glasses were synthesized by the method of charge melting in the crucible. Potassium-alumina-borate glass system was used (K2O-Al2O3-B2O3) proposed by S.A. Stepanov (Vavilov State Institute). Glass system was doped by 3 wt% of Fe2O3 and 2 wt% MnO by weight (composition 1) and 2 wt% Fe2O3 and 1 wt% MnO by weight (composition 2). The glass transition temperature was 430 °C. Segregating of the crystal phase of manganese ferrite MnFe2O4 occurred during heat treatment at 550 °C for 2 hours in a programmable muffle furnace. The absorption spectrum in the wavelength range 200-2000 nm was recorded with Perkin Elmer Lambda 650 and Varian Cary 500 spectrophotometers. The XRD patterns were obtained on Rigaku Ultima IV X-ray diffractometer by copper anode with a wavelength λ (Cu) = 0.15418 nm. Magneto-optical Verde constant was measured by the angle of polarization plane rotation of the passing light through the sample when the sample is placed in magnetic field. Main Results. New technological modes of potassium-alumina-borate glass synthesis doped with ions of iron and manganese were developed and studied. It is established that during heat treatment nanocrystals of manganese ferrites are evolved with an average size of 18 nm. These glasses have a Verde constant equal to 0.9 arc.min/(cm·Oe). It is shown that obtained glasses possess high absorbance in ultra-violet and visible light spectrum. Practical Relevance. Proposed and analyzed nanoglass-ceramics could be accepted as a basis for creation of sensing environments for sensors current and magnetic field and for creation of optical isolators based on the Faraday effect.
Acknowledgements. This work has been supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation (Project No.RFMEFI58114X0006)
1. Shen Y., Lu Y., Liu Z., Yu X., Zhang G., Yu W. Performance of magneto-optical glass in optical current transducer application. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 2015, vol. 389, pp. 180–185. doi: 10.1016/j.jmmm.2015.04.054
2. Chen Q., Ma Q, Wang H., Chen Q. Structural and properties of heavy metal oxide Faraday glass for optical current transducer. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 2015, vol. 429, pp. 13–19. doi: 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2015.08.031
3. Chen Q., Wang H., Perero S., Wang Q., Chen Q. Structural, optical and magnetic properties of Fe3O4 sputtered TeO2–PbO–B2O3 and PbO–Bi2O3–B2O3 glasses for sensing applications. Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 2015, vol. 408, pp. 43–50. doi: 10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2014.10.011
4. Starobor A., Zheleznov D., Palashov O., Savinkov V., Sigaev V. Borogermanate glasses for Faraday isolators at high average power. Optics Communications, 2016, vol. 358, pp. 176–179. doi: 10.1016/j.optcom.2015.09.047
5. Chen Z., Yang L., Wang X., Wang J., Hang Y. Fabrication and characterizations of a Erbium doped terbium gallium garnet crystal for Faraday rotators. Materials Letters, 2015, vol. 161, pp. 93–95. doi: 10.1016/j.matlet.2015.08.085
6. Savinkov V.I., Sarkisov P.D., Sigaev V.N., Golubev N.V., Lopatina E.V. Borogermanate glasses with magneto optical properties. Uspekhi v Khimii i Khimicheskoi Tekhnologii, 2008, vol. 22, no. 7, pp. 39–44.
7. Krinchik G.S., Chetkin M.V. Transparent ferromagnetics. Physics-Uspekhi, 1969, vol. 98, no. 1, pp. 3–25.
8. Edel'man I.S.,.Ivantsov R.D, Stepanov S.A., Vasil'eva I.G., Vasil'ev A.D., Bayukov O.A., Zarubina T.V., Kornilova E.E., Balaev A.D., Ivanova O.S., Myagkov V.G., Sokolov A.E. Magnetic and magnetooptical properties of nanoscale particles of manganese ferrite in the borate glass matrix: direct observation of the particles, the correlation between particle size and properties of glass. Vestnik KGU: Fiziko-Matematicheskie Nauki, 2004, no. 1, pp. 62–69.
9. Kliava J., Edelman I., Ivanova O., Ivantsov R., Bayukov O., Petrakovskaja E., Zaikovskiy V., Bruckental I., Yeshurun Y., Stepanov S. Formation and evolution of magnetic nanoparticles in borate glass simultaneously doped with Fe and Mn oxides. Journal of Applied Physics, 2008, vol. 104, no. 10, art. 103917. doi: 10.1063/1.3021289
10. Edel'man I.S., Skorospelova V.I., Stepanov S.A., Anistratova N.A. Spectral and magnetooptical properties K-Al-B glasses containing iron and manganese. Glass Physics and Chemistry, 1983, vol. 9, no. 4, pp. 481–486. (In Russian)
11. Edelman I.S., Ivantsov R.D., Vasil'ev A.D., Stepanov S.A., Zarubina T.V., Kornilova E.E. Borate glasses with paramagnetic dopants – a new magnetooptic material for the IR spectral range. Glass Physics and Chemistry, 2001, vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 454–459. doi: 10.1023/A:1012456200775
12. Gubin S.P., Yurkov G.Yu., Koksharov Yu.A., Khomutov G.B. Magnetic nanoparticles: Preparation, structure and properties. Russian Chemical Reviews, 2005, vol 74, no. 6, pp. 489–520. doi: 10.1070/RC2005v074n06ABEH000897
13. Edel'man I.S., Ivantsov R.D., Vasil'ev A.D., Balaev A.D., Bayukov O.A., Stepanov S.A., Kornilova E.E., Zarubina T.V., Isaeva T.N., Molokeev M.S. Magnetic and magnetooptical properties of nanoscale particles of manganese ferrite in the matrix borate glass. Vestnik KrasGU, 2014, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 132–157. (In Russian)
14. Ivanova O.C., Velikanov D.A., Didenko O.N., Zaikovskii V.I. Magnetic properties and morphology of the manganese ferrite nanoparticles in glass. Journal of Siberian Federal University. Mathematics & Physics, 2011, no. 4, pp. 470–478. (In Russian)
15. Skorospelova V.I., Stepanov S.A. Behaviour of iron ions in K2O–Al2O3–B2O3 glasses. Neorganicheskie Materialy, 1974, vol. 10, pp. 1864–1871. (In Russian)
16. Stepanov S.A. Clusters of paramagnetic ions in the glass. Glass Physics and Chemistry, 1976, vol. 2, no. 3, pp. 228–233. (In Russian)
17. Gorshkov V.S., Savel'ev V.G., Fedorov N.F. Physical Chemistry of Silicates and Other Refractory Compounds. Moscow, Vysshaya Shkola Publ., 1988, 400 p.
18. Vargin V.V. Proizvodstvo Tsvetnogo Stekla [Colored Glass Production]. Ed. I.V. Grebenshchikov. Moscow, Leningrad, Gizlegprom Publ., 1940, 283 p.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License